Sunday, April 29, 2012

Surrogacy for a different reason

Some of you may know who Guiliana and Bill Rancic are because of their reality T.V. show; some of you may not. I'm a fan, and I've watched their show for a while now. They have struggled with fertility issues for a long time and recently discovered in addition to fertility problems, Guiliana has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She elected to have a double mastectomy. Due to all of her health issues, they decided to use a gestational carrier and have announced that they are indeed, finally, pregnant through a surrogate :) I am sooooo happy for them and so astounded at their very public sharing of these deeply personal struggles. I'm hoping that putting a "celebrity face" on this issue will increase awareness and sensitivity to the fertility issues that so many people deal with on a daily basis.
Watching the implantation on their show brought tears to my eyes, and seeing the reaction of each of them when they found out the gestational carrier was pregnant was incredible. I just received notice that I have been synced up with the egg donor's cycle and that I will be receiving a schedule soon as to how the implantation phase will proceed. I will start on hormones again and very soon, will be going to the fertility clinic for the embryo transfer. Holy crap, I get to (hopefully) help make this couple's dream come true.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am so excited! Can't wait to know more details; ready to get this party started!

      Delete