Monday, December 26, 2011

Generosity of Spirit

The holiday season is my favorite time of year. Ever since I was a little kid, I have loved giving the perfect gift to my friends and family. Sure, I love getting presents-who doesn't?? But I really live for that moment when you see someone open up the gift you picked just for them and seeing that reaction. We usually see who can make my grandmother cry the most when she opens her presents :) (We are a family of criers)
This year has been especially fun because the kids are both at that point where they really get the Christmas magic thing, and let me say, it warms my heart and makes me soooo excited I feel like I'm 5 again.  As the nurturer that I am, I usually get much more out of giving than receiving, and I don't say that to try to sound super altruistic, it is the truth. So I can't really explain how I felt when I received gifts in the mail for my children from the couple I will be a surrogate for.  REALLY nice gifts. Did I mention that they have never met my children? I was blown away to say the least. I'm not even pregnant yet, and here they are, thinking of MY children and family. It just cements the feeling that I know that they are the perfect couple for me to help. This isn't something they were in any way obligated to do; they are just generous and loving. This post is really just about me needing to have an outlet for the emotions this simple gesture caused. It may not seem like a big deal, but I can't stop thinking about it, and about the utter joy delivered to my children on Christmas Eve. I know gifts come in all shapes and sizes, and as this journey progresses, I am realizing more and more that the intended parents are not the only ones who  are receiving a gift.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect match between you and them!! You are both going to be great for each other!

    ReplyDelete