Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day

Mother's Day has always been very special to me because of the amazingly close relationship that I share with my mom. She has been my inspiration my entire life. Since my parents divorced when I was around 8, it was just the two of us. I had a very strained relationship with my father and only recently reunited with him after Stella was born. My mom did the work of two parents and did a damn fine job of it.
After becoming a mom myself, it put a whole new spin on things :) There has been nothing more powerful in my life than giving birth to my children. So I find myself extra reflective this Mother's Day as I am preparing to help someone else become a mom. I cannot possibly think of a better gift to give someone. It seems especially symbolic to me that I am beginning the last leg of this journey to become pregnant during this weekend.
I started hormone shots in my tummy today. I will do this every day for the next week and then have bloodwork and an ultrasound done to ensure that I have the right level of hormones in my system. If so, I discontinue that hormone (Lupron) and begin Delestrogen every 3rd day. That shot goes in the booty. I will continue that routine for 2 weeks and have more bloodwork and another ultrasound, once again, to assess my hormone levels. At the same time, the egg donor is undergoing her own hormone treatments and assessments. When they harvest her eggs and fertilize them, the fertility clinic will assess the embryos to determine if they are ready for transfer. If so, we do the transfer and I then begin taking Progesterone in addition to the delestrogen (another shot in the booty) every day, for several weeks. Hopefully the pregnancy takes and I stay pregnant :)
Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms out there, all mothers to be, all caregivers who help us with our children, and all the partners that support us.

No comments:

Post a Comment